Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Movies: Catch-up

I just feel like posting a log of the movies that I've seen. Last month, I took a part-time job at the local BlockBuster, so my movie-watching has increased somewhat (obviously).

Last week:
Snatch - four stars
A lot of fun to watch. The acting was great, the movie flowed, and the plot was terrific. If the movie has a flaw, it is the sometimes incomprehensible cockney-type accents. Brad Pitt was completely impossible to understand, but from what they say, it was supposed to be that bad.


Lucky Number Slevin - four and a half stars
Fantastic. I put this movie only a notch below The Usual Suspects, but to me it was of the same sort. Great plot, you're following the story...and then the story has changed completely...with a twist. The cast is top-notch: Josh Harnett, Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley, Bruce Willis, Stanley Tucci, and Lucy Liu.

Snakes on a Plane - three stars
I don't know if it would have been watchable, or as watchable, without Samuel L. Jackson, but this was a lot of fun to watch. I was reminded of Eight Legged Freaks in the way that it was cheesy, fun, and requiring a complete suspension of belief, but since Samuel L. is 4,000 times greater than David Arquette, enough said.

Crank - three and a half stars
Right from the get-go, there is action with only a few lulls. The lulls are made more apparent with the fast pace of the movie, and at times, Amy Smart (whom I normally really like) almost steals the movie from Jason Stratham and ruins it. It was fun to watch, and certainly entertaining. I sure didn't recognize Dwight Yoakam though...but who would?

Failure to Launch - three stars
Seeing Kathy Bates naked in About Schmidt left enough scars, but seeing Terry Bradshaw naked was almost as bad. It was funny, and McConaughey and Parker were good. There were quite a few laugh-out-loud moments, and with a comedy, that's all I ask for. The more, the merrier.

A History of Violence - three and a half stars
I liked the movie, and thought Viggo was pretty good in it. How William Hurt gets the Best Supporting Actor nomination for his 10-15 minutes at the end is a total swerve. Ed Harris almost steals the movie (in a good way), and it totally evil and believable as an organized crime higher-up-type. Maria Bello, in the movie also, is just plain hot. I think the only bad thing about the movie is its incredible hype, which made me come away from the movie liking it, but not loving it as the aforementioned hype would have expected.

Flyboys - four stars
My son's favorite movie of all time. Let me drop this pearl of wisdom: If you ever go and see a movie that looks like it may be kind of crappy or so-so at the best, take a kid to see it. Kids are incredibly easy to please, and their enthusiasm will totally boost your level of enjoyment (see Alien vs. Predator). James Franco was good in the movie, and the flying/action/battle scenes were terrific. I might have enjoyed it more since I saw it at a local $1.50 theater, but in retrospect, I did spend another $15 on Twizzlers, popcorn, and soda, so it all comes together in the end.


Movies on tap, possibly, for the next week:

No comments: